Monday 12 May 2014

Concert Review: Arctic Monkeys


Marry Me. All of you.
 
Emerging onto the stage through a thick haze of purple and orange, with a smouldering gaze and an air of poise and seduction, the Arctic Monkeys made me want to take my clothes off before Alex even had a chance to open his mouth.
Kicking off the set with “Do I Wanna Know,” it was clear the band were going to take the audience for a ride they’d never forget.
Sex on legs.
 
The set was AM heavy, with nearly the entire album being played. But that came as no surprise, seeing as how popular the record has been for the band. A definite highlight was ‘Arabella,’ in which the crowd, and myself, went wild. With big drums, riffs, heart-warming lyricism and a colourful delivery, it was an unforgettable performance.
The spot lights came on for ‘No. 1 Party Anthem,’ creating a prom like scenario, making audience members grab each other and slow dance. (The chick next to me kept jumping on this guy forcing him to love her, but he was not having a bar of it, it was hilarious). The audience also went mad for ‘Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?’ and the acoustic roar of ‘Fireside.’
Old fans were not disappointed however, with a handful of classics making a memorable appearance. A chaotic flashback to ‘I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor’ sent my handbag flying, and resulted in countless broken toes from all the moshing. ‘Brainstorm,’ ‘Cornerstone,’ and ‘Don’t sit down ‘cause I moved your chair’ kept the energy levels high, and my ultimate favourite, ‘Fluorescent Adolescent,’ ensured everyone was dancing whether they wanted to or not.
Just when I was giving up hope that they’d play it, ‘505’ came bursting through the mist signalling the ending of the show and creating tears in my eyes. I am still unsure whether that was because the show was ending or because the lyrics in ‘505’ really hit home. It was probably both.
The set ended with a massive three-song encore of ‘One for the Road,’ ‘I Wanna Be Yours,’ and an extended ‘R U Mine?’
With that, the quickest hour and a half of my life had come around and it was time to fair well the beautiful boys from Sheffield. Whilst the setlist missed a couple of favourites (‘When the Sun Goes Down,). All five albums were represented and there were no fillers. Every song was bliss!
Ok, ok, I know you may think I am bias because Alex Turner is my future husband, but in all honesty it was one of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen live.

Jeffrey gives it:
100 out of 10
 
 
-Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment